We are now one week from surgery and my mind is buzzing with all the fine details of readying Wyatt, the children we'll leave with grandparents, the household and the business. On top of that, I have a fever now and my head and neck have been invaded by alien beings kind of like noisy frat boys mixed with a cattle prod type sensation. I digress, but that's kind of how things have been here lately: regular life with digressions of traveling to PA for a new piece of equipment, equipment breaking down, mice invading our house with the onset of cool weather, the possibility of a free, nice horse, trying to ward off the H1N1 virus all around us here and starting in on wrap up tax planning for the year, to name a few.
Sounds easy, but here's just the mouse digression: woke up with mouse running across my neck one morning (hello, there's mice in the house), trouble sleeping (probably because there's a mouse in the house), go downstairs to find 2 mice flitting around the living room (bright idea - lets see if the cat can catch them...baaaaaaad idea at 2 a.m. - me running first, mouse second, cat in hot pursuit), set trap and set out poison (leads to sick mouse trying to bite Mike when he's to dispose of it) and then the quiet (are they really gone or are they mutating?). What is it with VA farm houses in the fall? I know there's a neon sign on our roof that beckons vermin and reptiles to "come, dine, live out your retirement years in our dry, warm basement with shuffle board and Bingo night every Wed."
I decided to experiment with giving God all the fine details of my life this week. I still make lists, but I don't hypervigilate (isn't that a fun word I just made up) to make sure I don't forget anything. I give God my day, ask Him to guide me and have decided if I forget something its forgivable. Letting go of perfection and going for the process of living. Basically I'm experimenting with actually trusting God with the minute to minute stuff instead of taking it all on myself in my typical bootstrappy kind of way. I'll let you know how it works out. This past week threw a lot of curves and I'm less stressed about them all than I used to be but still more stressed than I want to be.
My prayer for Wyatt and all of us is that we will be healthy going into and out of this surgery and may God bless the operative hands and minds! I am hoping for smooth sailing all the way through surgery, 2 weeks of a liquid diet and 3 weeks of "quiet activity". Knowing Wyatt (the sidekick) and our dear little Abbie (the instigator of all mischief), I'm betting this will be an interesting ride though. Padlock the fridge and move everything up 3 shelves? Put lead in their shoes to make jumping difficult? Eureka! Sand is soft and Floridians are into smoothies so doesn't this call for a beach vacation/recovery time? Excuse me. "Hey Mike, I've got a great idea!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What a great post. Love all your humor in your story telling. Thank you for the reminder that I need to hand it over to God daily! Im sure more then daily in my case. Stay healthy!
Post a Comment