Sunday, June 21, 2009

Day 3: the big poo and subsequent revelation of Wyatt's personality




These are pictures of a Buddhist temple tour

Wyatt's been a little stuck up, if you know what I mean, since we received him a few days ago. This morning was the big blow out which occurred in his pajamas unfortunately. The poor little guy was shaking when I took him to the potty because I think he thought he was in for some trouble. But boy was he happy and relieved when all that happened was a thorough cleaning up. The funny part of it was that post poo, our little boy's personality emerged full force. You know how Abbie's middle name has been "no" for some time now. Well Haohai's middle name is "boo shing" (no in Mandarin). He's cute as the dickens with dancing dark eyes and a big grin on his face: a terrible tease and very active in a happy sort of way. I taught him "jump" this morning which he loves - we jumped over cracks in the sidewalk. His first English word besides "ma ma", which doesn't count because that's the same in Mandarin, was "car". His 2nd word was "egg". His third word is "juice". He actually repeated these words quite clearly even though from what I have read, open cleft palates can make a child unable to speak clearly. He's been so quiet since we received him that I thought he's just a quiet kid, but boy was that wrong. Most of his "boo shing" moments this morning at breakfast were because he was being loud (to tease me). I shoveled in breakfast and took him out for a walk. He craves attention so I realized we need to pay more attention to him for being good than when he's squealing in the restaurant. Our parenting methods are being refined once again.

He loves "give me five" but we had to have the guide explain the difference to
him when he laughingly smacked Daddy in the face at supper last night. He's discovered the wooden blocks I brought with and neatly arranges them, rearranges them, stacks them and then says "Mama" and points proudly to his work. He also likes to line up his cars on the table when he's done playing with them for a moment. He's discovered drawing on paper with a pencil. I had to show him how as this was a foreign concept and now he loves it and is very proud of his "drawings". Cars, however, are his favorite toy. Cars are his favorite thing to look at out on the street. Daddy Mike is thrilled of course that he's "all boy" as Mike puts it.

Although he is now "wide open" and a huge tease, he still seems very sweet and
loving. He makes sure he's with us in public. He teased me this morning though by saying something to me (which of course I don't understand) and running away while laughing, checking to see if I was chasing him (which I was). Another "Haohai, boo shing" moment although I couldn't make myself be forceful about it because its so good to see him truly happy. He's learning to call me "mama" as before he defaulted
naturally to "ahyee" (auntie) for me as he did with his female caregivers. I've
started to only answer him when he says "mama" and he's caught on pretty quick.

Another praise is that he has all his teeth! I am so excited to say that although they are full of cavities, he has all his upper teeth. Yeehaw! Many clefts are missing teeth up on top and need implants and bridge work. His cleft is very long front to back and is about an inch to 1.25 inches wide. You would never know he has it though for the most part.

Thanks for letting me rattle on about our new discovery post poo. May the Lord receive praise for His goodness and provision.

No comments: