Saturday, June 27, 2009

We're eating what?




We're on the downhill slope and are picking up speed. We had today (Sat) and will have tomorrow (Sun) off and are enjoying kicking back, shopping, walking around and hanging out. I love Guangzhou. Its a very picturesque, old world, easy going kind of place. Europeans have been in and out of here for hundreds of years so there's some familiar architecture and the locals take Westerners in stride (so no more being the uncomfortable focus of everyone's attention everywhere we go).

Bob took us on a 5 minute walk to a Chinese restaurant on the mainland tonight (we are staying on an island). The Wong's older kids love to try exotic foods. So for those of you who know me well, this might come as a shock to you....I went to a restaurant tonight that specialized in snake dishes. Yes I did. I really did. You walk by the snake tanks (hundreds of creepy, live snakes) to the dining area. Then you go pick out the snake you want to eat and they grab him and fillet him up and fry him. I would have tried eating snake, but they were unfortunately for me fried in peanut oil. I was so sad to miss this opportunity! Somehow the dish of fried snake kept ending up in front of me though. I actually picked a piece up with my chop sticks for that all important kodak moment. Thank goodness they didn't put the head on the plate because that might have put me over the edge. Anyway the food was wonderful and cheap (finally) and we had a great time. Lots of laughter!

On the plane ride down here, we were served a meal of a cold Asian bun surrounding cold sausage, an appetizer of pickled fruit and a banana. Very interesting. The appetizer was packaged like a moist towlette so I didn't realize it was food until the brown juice hit my hand. Ewww.

Wyatt has responded to his 6 vaccinations as you would expect he would. Hopefully that problem will be resolved by Wed. a.m. when we fly out. Poor boy. It was dreadful of course. The ENT doctor told us he was deaf because he sat like a frozen statue in front of her and would not respond to anything she did. My experience is that children raised in orphanges go into their shell when they feel threatened (which is exactly what he did). I am happy to assure you that he is not deaf and can hear soft voices and is picking up some English words. Silly doctor. We are starting to see that Wyatt is shy (at least for now.) He talks non-stop in the room and when we're alone, but when we're out he clams up and won't talk to anyone, including us. He has this cute, husky little boys voice. There's a certain song he likes to sing complete with hand motions. He finishes and claps for himself and says something like "yay".

Today I met a Chr-n man who is living here and had the most wonderful conversation with him. He is like a beautiful light shining in the darkness. In every step of our journey this time we have met some individuals who internally shine in everything they do. This gives me hope. I have also seen things that make me suspect possibilities that leave me sick and deeply grieved. I suppose it is no different in any region of the world these days.

I am learning a lot from various sections of the 6th and 9th chapter of Luke this week. (Luke 6:20-26, 9:48, 9:59-62.) Partly due to our journey and partly in watching the Wongs deal with their loss while continuing on the journey they've been called to. The meaning is deeper and clearer with these verses as I watch them lived out in our traveling companions who now have 7 children and are still open to whatever God has for them in the future. We feel honored to be traveling with them.

Have a blessed Sabbath!

No comments: